nakshArt is a step to bring sky viewing experience through modern web browsers, with the advantage being faster in rendering sky view. nakshArt is an astronomical sky viewer application that draws stars, constellation, celestial objects on the fly using canvas, based on the current location of your browser.
Technically it uses HTML5 features like canvas, local storage, geo location and much more. The rendering of sky view is as fast as plugin based application.
nashkArt is a work in progress application, many more features are waiting to be added.
Meanwhile try your hands on nakshArt @naskhart.com. Works better on latest chrome, firefox, safari.
Update: v0.5b is out, with a better look and feel. Try now!
- Select a location and view that sky
- Double Click Zoom In/Zoom Out
- Drag Sky View (on the fly generation and no caching!), etc
- Extra celestial Object information added (like galaxy, nebulae, etc)
- Constellation labels are added.
- Navigation directions added (though buggy when on Poles).
- Take Snapshot of Sky!
- Cool menus!
- Use of worker threads!
- Save the sky!
- Rich View of constellation, stars, celestial objects
- Open source it.